The Bottom Line
- Fresh micro-brew on tap
- Delicious breads
- Hole in the wall atmosphere (if you're into that sort of thing)
- You don't have to clean up the mess!
- Small, dark space with little seating
- Staff is discouraged from being too attentive
- Brewing is pricey
- Tucked away in a quiet little strip mall
- Open for lunch and dinner, seven days a week
- Walls lined with custom labels from customer brews
- The space is mostly dedicated to housing the brewing equipment and other provisions
Guide Review - Brewbakers: An Interactive Beer Experience
Brewbakers opened in 1996 on Main St. in downtown Huntington Beach. After only four years at this location, the owner decided to move shop to a quiet strip mall on the north side of the city. In addition to being a facility for brewing your own beer, Brewbakers is a beer enthusiasts' dream with 30 varieties. There are also 10 varieties of soda, including the official "Surf City Soda," and a menu featuring pizza, burgers and bratwurst wrapped in famous Brewbakers pretzel bread and a grilled mac-n-cheese sandwich.
One might not expect all this brewing and drinking to be a family-friendly environment, but Brewbakers hosts parties daily, including birthday parties for kids. While parents work on their brew, kids can make their own root beer and pretzel bread.
Brewbakers has become a local brew-house favorite and a fun place to spend holidays -- especially St. Paddy's -- where new-comers are welcomed warmly and regulars can sit at the bar chatting with the owner. In addition to winning various awards, Brewbakers recently made a deal to stock six of its brews in Albertsons grocery stores, as part of a hyper-local program.
With its "personal craft beer," and a casually, family friendly atmosphere, Brewbakers is an interactive alternative to the traditional bar experience for local and visiting beer connoisseurs alike.