The Bottom Line
- Low admission price
- VIP Rib Village access with shaded tables and all-you-can eat ribs and drinks
- Live music and dance floor
- No seating without purchase of VIP ticket (so take lawn chairs or a picnic blanket)
- Grass area is mostly occupied by vendors
- Open air event held at Fountain Valley Sports Park on Heil and Brookhurst
- Six BBQ vendors to choose from, taste and vote for the best
- Retail vendors, non-profit organizations and activities for kids on site
Guide Review - O.C. BBQ Bonanza Review
The O.C. BBQ Bonanza boasted itself the "largest, drinkin', dancin', barbecue eatin' festival" in Southern California, and to this end, it did not disappoint. For four days, foodies and barbecue lovers visited the Fountain Valley Sports Park as six barbecue teams faced off to earn the title the best barbecue in town.
The six teams included Aussom Aussies, Porky-N-Beans, Howling Coyote's Southwest BBQ, Cowboy's BBQ & Ribs Co., Johnsons Bar-B-Que, and KC BBQ, all of which have won regional or international awards respectively.
While general admission granted entry to the festival, it should be noted that all food and drink items were provided at an additional cost. General admission also included one People's Choice voting ticket and free admission for kids 12 and under. VIP ticketing was a great value at $100 for all-you-can eat ribs, sides, drinks, desert and shaded table seating. I casted my vote for the smokey and sweet ribs from Johnsons Bar-B-Que. It was a tough choice, but having access to the VIP Rib Village definitely made the taste-testing an indulgent experience.
Drinks included wine, beer (Harp & Guinness on opening day), margaritas and other alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. The libations were a great compliment to the BBQ as well as a lubricant to facilitate conversation. I'm sure I wasn't the only person in attendance who found myself drawn into conversations with strangers. And what fun conversations they were.
All in all, the O.C. BBQ Bonanza is a great community building event, a must attend Summer event for foodies and fun the entire family can enjoy. Hope to see you there next year!